Internationally-known permanent collection of American art.
Henry Strater and the Ogunquit Museum of American Art
Henry Strater first came to Ogunquit in 1919 to study at Hamilton Easter Field’s Summer School of Graphic Arts. After success as a painter and years in Paris as part of the Lost Generation, he built a permanent home in Ogunquit in 1925. In the early 1950s he purchased an oceanfront spot that generations of painters had come to know as Narrow Cove, and chose architect Charles S. Worley, Jr. to design a museum.
The Museum of Art of Ogunquit, as it was called until 1992, opened in 1953, and the collection grew rapidly with select works by artists associated with Ogunquit’s famous art colony of the early 20th century.
Today, the Ogunquit Museum of American Art houses a permanent collection of important paintings, sculpture, drawings, prints and photographs from the late 1800s to the present and is the only museum in Maine devoted exclusively to the exhibition, preservation and interpretation of American Art.
Museums & Historical Sites
Visited 44 times, 1 Visit today